BORN Yorkshire, England
ARTIST STATEMENT FOLLOWED BY CV
Carolyn Roberts is a contemporary multi-media artist. Her work includes sculpture, mixed media, installation and photography. Most recently she has been using watercolour and pencil as the most suitable medium for her current works.
Carolyn Roberts’ concerns as an artist have always been subjective and stem from a fascination with the body. This includes not only the physical form, but also the ways in which we perceive ourselves and the world through experience and the fragile record of memory.
Recurrent themes involve questions of identity, dislocation and sense of place.
Originally from Yorkshire, Carolyn now divides her time – living and working in Melbourne and in Normandy.
- 2007 Master of Fine Arts (research) Monash University.
- 1990 Photography, Outer Eastern TAFE
- 1985 Associate Diploma of Art and Design, Monash University.
MAJOR & SOLO EXHIBITIONS (selected most recent)
- 2013 Then Here & Now, Glen Eira Gallery, Caulfield, Vic
- 2012 Viewpoints, Steps Gallery, Carlton, Vic
- 2010 Christmas Show, Bridget McDonnell Gallery, Hampton
- 2010 333 Collins St Sculpture Exhibition, Melbourne.
- 2008 Time & Tide- Angela Robards-Bird Gallery, Port Melbourne.
- 2007 Water– curated by Julie Collins for ‘Making Space’ ARI, Yarra Sculpture Gallery, Abbotsford, Vic.
- 2007 Clay Bodies – Kiln Gallery, Northcote Pottery, Thornbury, Vic.
- 2006 TRANSposed – Yarra Sculpture Gallery, Abbotsford, Vic.
- 2005 Under One Roof- curated by Tania Blackwell – SPAN Galleries. Melbourne, Vic.
- 2003 Featured Artist – Skepsi on Swanston, Carlton, Vic.
- 2000 Life & Legend– The Jackman Gallery, St Kilda, Vic.
OTHER GROUP EXHIBITIONS (selected most recent)
- 2012 Tussock Upstairs Gallery, group show, Point Lonsdale, Vic
- 2007-10 ANL Maritime Art Prize, (finalist), Docklands, Melbourne, Vic.
- 2005 Yering Station Sculpture Exhibition (finalist)
- 2004 Yering Station Sculpture Exhibition (finalist), Yarra Valley, Vic
- 2004 “The Victorian Connection”, Ceramic Art Gallery, Paddington NSW
- 2003 Northern Territory Craft Award (finalist), Alice Springs, NT
- 2002 Clay @ Montsalvat (finalist), Eltham, Vic
- 2002 Toowoomba Biennial Acquisitive Art Award (finalist), Toowoomba, Qld
- 2002 Sydney Myer Fund International Ceramics Award (finalist)
- Shepparton Art Gallery, Shepparton, Vic
- 1998-2005 Williamstown Festival Art Prize (finalist), Williamstown, Vic
- 2005 Yering Station Sculpture Award – People’s Choice Award Clay @ Montsalvat: VCG Award for excellence
- 1997 Glen Eira Artist Award: Judges special mention
- 1996 Glen Eira Artist Award: National Australia Bank award.
Victorian College of Arts – Margaret Lawrence Collection
Shepparton Art Gallery
Myer Bicentennial Collection (VCG)
City of Monash
Numerous private collections in Australia and overseas